Thursday, August 19, 2010

Psalm 96 and Isaiah 58!

Hey people of the internet :)
I'm back for another blog! I guess I'm getting more comfortable writing them now even though I never really felt uncomfortable since I love writing! Anywho...I recently read Psalm 96 and there is so much "stuff" in there! It sends many different messages that I want to talk about! 

Firstly, If you are not familiar with this Psalm, you will be now :)

1
1 Sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all the earth.
2
Sing to the LORD, bless his name; announce his salvation day after day.
3
Tell God's glory among the nations; among all peoples, God's marvelous deeds.
4
2 For great is the LORD and highly to be praised, to be feared above all gods.
5
For the gods of the nations all do nothing, but the LORD made the heavens.
6
Splendor and power go before him; power and grandeur are in his holy place.
7
Give to the LORD, you families of nations, give to the LORD glory and might;
8
give to the LORD the glory due his name! Bring gifts and enter his courts;
9
bow down to the LORD, splendid in holiness. Tremble before God, all the earth;
10
say among the nations: The LORD is king. The world will surely stand fast, never to be moved. God rules the peoples with fairness.
11
Let the heavens be glad and the earth rejoice; let the sea and what fills it resound;
12
let the plains be joyful and all that is in them. Then let all the trees of the forest rejoice
13
before the LORD who comes, who comes to govern the earth, To govern the world with justice and the peoples with faithfulness.
           So I really like this Psalm and there are a few parts that are my favorite! The 2 bolded verses are the ones that I want to talk about. The first one, verse 2, I really like. This verse can mean many different things but the way I like to see it is about the last part. When it says announce his salvation everyday, it means that we need to praise him EVERY day! We can't just be like oh I haven't prayed for like a week...I feel bad...ok I guess I'll pray. No, we have to be consistant with our faith and showing God how much we love him and appreciate him. DAY AFTER DAY. WEEK AFTER WEEK. YEAR AFTER YEAR. ( you get the point). We need to announce his salvation all the time. Although I know we all have been there where maybe we stayed up late Saturday night and didn't want to wake up early for church, we need to. I don't want to sound like a hypocrite so I will admit that I have been there done that sadly. But, we do need to stay consistent in our faith.             Verse 8 is another one that I like. When it says, give to the LORD the glory due his name!, It simply means that we need to give him what he deserves. He sacrificed so much for us, it is only right that we do the same. We need to praise him DUE to his name. 
       I also read Isaiah 58 which is... WAY to long to post on here...so I guess you will have to go pull out the bible that might be hiding...I hope not :)
But, my favorite verse from that book is Isaiah 58:7 
 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?
I know that this book is more about fasting and about what it means to fast and why we fast, but I LOVE this verse. Sometimes we can be selfish and we really need to share the last chicken finger from our meal. Something that I know a lot of people can be guilty of is hiding ourself from our own flesh. For example homeless people. I know that everyone has been there when a homeless person walks up to your car and asks for money. Sometimes we think it would be better not to look that them so that we don't reject them money, but we are hiding from them like we are afraid to look at them because they are different then we are. I find it pathetic that we do that sometimes. I really hope that this can change your heart and next time you see someone less fortunate then yourself, you can help out a brother or a sister by giving them something small. 
Thanks for reading :)
Oh! and there is this great song that came to my heart while writing this..I'll post a video of it. It's called Give me your eyes by Brandon Heath!
~Alexa~ 
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2cYxOkR2-g&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment